Sunday, December 24, 2006

International Moment of Zen

I don't feel like being chained to the computer right now in order to write an extensive blog, but I did want to wish everyone happy holidays. Though the Christmas spirit is evident here, it is nothing like home. No 24-7 in-your-face commercials, no constant carols and outrageous sales. Not to mention it's 85 degrees and humid which makes it easy to forget that it's December, much less Christmas time. Although I appreciate the less commercialized version and I like not having the holiday shoved down my throat, somehow, I still miss the hustle and bustle of the month-long celebration in 'the states.' And I can't believe this California girl actually misses the Minnesota snow!


Tango, my new favorite genre


I also wanted to mention how cool yesterday was. The night began with discovering the Global Edition of a certain television show I have been deeply missing. It was so nice to have an international moment of zen. Then we were off to what we were told was an orchestra but turned out to be the coolest Tango band ever (not that I have anything to compare it to). I never imagined I would be rockin' out to violins and accordions, but this band seriously rocked. It felt like we were at a punk show in San Diego only instead of rocking out on guitars, the guys were getting crazy with their accordions. Head banging, foot-stompin Tango? One guy even busted out with a little Billy Benchpress style.


(a clip I caught on my PowerShot, the lighting gets a bit better in the middle) @fernandezfierro.com (check out some of the videos.)


When we first got to the show, we were early (for once) so we went over to a cafe and ended up getting into a political conversation with one of the guys. As soon as he heard we were from los estados unidos, he sat right down next to us and said (in spanish) "So, tell me, are you for Boosh or not for Boosh?" He didn't speak any English and our Spanish is still too limited to be talking politics, but somehow we were able to carry on a discussion. Though it didn't go very far since I'm sure the guy felt like he was talking to children. I'm sure Aaron will spend more time on this in his blog so I will leave it at that.

We did return to the cafe after the "orchestra" and this time we brought The Aussies. And of course, despite our earnest attempt to be home at a 'decent' hour, we ended up catching a cab (in the rain) muy temprano en la mañana. But this time we did make it to be before the sun rose! If you haven't read Aaron previous blog describing the atmosphere here, in a nutshell, this city literally never sleeps. The streets are as alive at 5am as they are at 10pm. The bars don't ever close as far as I can tell and people don't go home until well after the sun has come up. Christmas eve (tonight) is apparently an evening they spend at home with the family, but at 2am, they go out and start partying. The crazy porteños get started when we, in the states, are stumbling home.

Well, so much for making this short! Merry Christmas, happy holidays, felices fiestas. Hang a stocking for me. =)
--S--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home